SHARE! Policies To Prevent Youth Sexual Abuse
Exchange Program Coordinators:
Front side of the "5 Steps Card" that all students receive:
- Are screened upon hire with an application, interview, criminal background check, including a check of the National Sexual Offenders Registry, and provide 4 references who are contacted both by phone and mail.
- Undergo the Darkness to Light workshop, created specifically for an exchange student program. During this workshop EPCs are:
- Trained to recognize signs of sexual abuse
- Trained to recognize grooming techniques
- Trained to communicate frequently with students
- Trained on effective questions to ask as well as how to handle student disclosure
- EPCs are given the opportunity to participate, free of charge, in any future workshops offered in their region.
- Are evaluated by students and host families in Initial and Final Program Evaluations
- Receive a "5 Steps Card" that is distributed and discussed with students at the pre-departure orientation in their home country. This card is also inserted in the student's Welcome Packet, sent to their host home just prior to their arrival.
- Receive a Student Handbook, which contains emergency instructions & phone numbers;
- Are contacted monthly by Exchange Program Coordinators for progress reports giving students the opportunity to bring up any issues with their host family, school or from social interactions.
- Are sent Initial and Final Evaluations, which enable them to confidentially bring up any issues with their Host Family or EPC’s. These evaluations come directly to the National Office.
- Student Handbook and Newsletter contain instructions on how to make an emergency call.
- Receive ERDT Policies and Procedures to follow in the case of various emergencies, including sexual exploitation or alleged abuses, found in the Student Handbook.
- Are screened in an in-home interview and application
- Receive background checks, including a check of the National Sexual Offenders Registry
- Provide two references who are contacted both by phone and mail.
- Receive a copy of the "7 Steps Card" in their information packets, which are sent soon after the student’s placement has been confirmed.
- Are informed during Post-Arrival orientation that our Exchange Program Coordinators are trained in Darkness to Light, and will act as an advocate for the student in cases where issues with the host family may arise.
- Receive ERDT Policies and Procedures to follow in the case of various emergencies, including sexual exploitation or alleged abuses found in the Host Family Handbook.
- Receive a copy of the "7 Steps Card" in the School Enrollment Packet, sent to them soon after the placement has been confirmed.