It’s the time of year when everyone’s thoughts turn to cold weather, football, changing leaves, pumpkins, apples & Halloween. What’s different about this time of year in the country your student hails from... or is it possible they come from a warm clime and have never experienced the crisp air of fall?
Lots of opportunities abound for first time, memory making experiences:
- Corn mazes
- Apple picking
- Making all things apple – sauce, pies, dumplings…yum...
- Decorating with pumpkins, corn shocks, Indian corn & Chrysanthemums
- Leaf peeping
- Raking leaves
- Going to an American football game – PeeWee, high school, college, or NFL (if you’re lucky enough!)
Halloween has passed, but here are some enjoyable moments shared by Northeast Region host families and their students:
- Dressing in costume to greet lil’ ghosts & goblins at the front door
- Carving the first-ever pumpkin
- The YUCK of pumpkin GUTS
- The Great Pumpkin Illumination
- Haunted events – houses, hayrides & woods
- Watching Halloween-themed classics
Thanks to all of our wonderful families across the nation for sharing your favorite fall traditions with the newest member of your family – your exchange student!